Monday, December 27, 2010

Georgia Scallops













I came up with this recipe a few weeks back and have made it three times now.


Sauce:
1/2 stick butter
1 T crushed garlic
2–3 shallots
6 small mushrooms, sliced
1 cup white wine
3 sprigs tarragon
1 pint cream
Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco Sauce
dried basil


Scallops:
12–20 scallops
olive oil
salt
pepper
1 lime


Sauté the garlic, shallots, and mushrooms in the melted butter. When the shallots are translucent, add the wine and tarragon (tear the leaves off the stems, but don't worry about chopping the leaves). Gradually add the cream over the next ten minutes, stirring regularly. Season as you go along.


The trick is the scallops. You must use a non-stick pan. I tried to do it with the smoothest of cast iron pans, and it was a disaster. Get the pan literally smoking hot, then add the olive oil. I was going to write out all the details of how to sauté them, but it would just be a pain for you and me. So here's a video that shows you how to do it perfectly:








The only difference is that I use the lime to sprinkle the scallops instead of a lemon.


Plate rice and place 3–5 scallops on top. Then spoon the sauce on top of the rice. Garnish with torn parsley and serve. Serves four.


——


I first made these scallops for my sister, after whom they're named. She's the one that recommended I serve this over rice. I'm grateful for all my siblings, and I love to cook for them. I appreciate these lines by Christina Rossetti:


"For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands."

No comments:

Post a Comment